Friday, October 1, 2010

All You Need is Love

After 26 years of being a member of the church, I am just beginning to learn what it is all about. Last week President Monson gave a talk at Women's Conference that has changed me. He spoke about judging vs. loving others. He said, "None of us is perfect. I know of no one who would profess to be so. And yet for some reason, despite our own imperfections, we have a tendency to point out those of others. "


I know I have been guilty of unrighteous judgment way too many times. It is so bad for us! It gets in the way of making new friends, of current relationships progressing, of missionary moments, of helping people who truly need help, and so on. Since I watched this talk and realized the gravity of this sin that we so often overlook, I have committed myself to saving the judging for the only one who is qualified for it. And since doing so, I have been so much happier! It was a simple act but I feel a huge difference. In removing my judgments I have made room for the spirit.


Once we stop judging people we can truly begin to love them, and in doing so, love the Savior. "Charity is having patience with someone who has let us down. It is resisting the impulse to become offended easily. It is accepting weaknesses and shortcomings. It is accepting people as they truly are. It is looking beyond physical appearances to attributes that will not dim through time. It is resisting the impulse to categorize others."


I can't wait for the rest of conference this weekend!

2 comments:

Team Smith Adventures said...

Christy, I am so happy to call you my wife! You are such an awesome wife and member of the church! I love how when you say you're going to do something, you do it 100%! I love you very much! Thank you for your excellent example. Love,
Scott

Nancy Smith... said...

I love this post. It is so insightful. However, I never have felt judged negatively by you. I think you are a very loving and caring person. President Monson's talk was very good and it hit a note with all of us who heard it because, we as women, especially, have to constantly fight the urge to form an opinion perhaps too early and often when it is not helpful. I know what you mean about conference talks. They are a gift to us and if we do like you are doing, it can change our life for the better.
Love you.....